Versions 5 and 6 of [email protected] software introduced a host of new features and functionality. In this article we summarise the key benefits of upgrading for organisations using Version 3 and 4.
The article is divided into 2 sections. In Section 1 we outline the benefits applicable to all users ([email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]). In section 2 we focus on those enhancements which are of particular interest to users of [email protected]’s advanced invoicing tools.
Version announcements are continuously posted on the [email protected] Version Announcements Webpage and we would encourage users to regularly visit this page or connect with us via our [email protected] Twitter Feed or the [email protected] Facebook Page where update announcements are also made. In addition you can see video demonstrations of the latest versions of our software on the [email protected] Videos Page.
In addition to the functional enhancements summarised below, one of the primary benefits of upgrading is to ensure that your software is compatible with the latest Operating Systems, SQL Versions and Browser Releases. Further details on all past and present compatibilities are available on the [email protected] System Requirements page.
Section 1 – Key Enhancements All Modules
iOS and Android Mobile App Support
Administrators can limit the forms and data that is available on the mobile device and allow employees to partially complete and upload receipts and data which can then be completed on the desktop or laptop. Alternatively forms can be immediately submitted for approval when uploaded from the mobile device. Employees can also use their mobile device to work on forms already started on their desktop or laptop and Managers can also approve forms from their mobile device.
Learn more about the [email protected] Mobile App here.
Item (“Portrait”) View On Forms
Forms can now be viewed in item (“portrait”) mode (a single row on one page) rather than in ‘grid’ mode. Users can toggle between the two modes as preferred and Administrators can set the default mode for a form type in the Maintenance Application.
In ‘item’ mode you’ll see all fields arranged across the page without the need to scroll horizontally. In addition the page is also responsive to the resolution of your screen.
This new functionality greatly extends the possibilities of additional forms based workflows within our applications.
Export & Import Forms Via Excel
One of the most exciting new features is the ability to import expense items directly from Excel. A forms structure can be exported directly to Excel, completed in Excel if preferred and then imported back to the form from the desktop. This functionality will be particularly useful for users who wish to complete forms offline or who need to import data from their personal credit card without the need to rekey everything from scratch.
Reports can now be run from within a form or a timesheet. For example when completing an expense form a user run a report to see if they had submitted similar expenses before. A timesheet user could see how much time they had previously spent on a particular.
Multiple Analysis Item Selection
One of the most requested enhancement requests has been the ability to select multiple items from a drop down field on a form or timesheet and we are delighted to introduce this functionality in Version 5. This can be very useful in scenarios where you need to select multiple clients on a single expense line or multiple activities on a single timesheet line.
PSW Graphical Revision
The browser-based front end has been radically revised to provide a more modern and easier to use interface. Navigation pages are now responsive to the device you are using.
- The ‘Home Page’ is now the ‘Today’ tab. Tabs contain panels where links to forms, or reports, or other functions are listed. Panels for which there are no current data or functions are not shown.
- The To Do panel on the Today tab lists tasks that you must perform on your own behalf – expenses, forms, etc.
- The Approve panel on the Today tab lists tasks that you must perform on behalf of others – expenses to authorise, forms to authorise or review, transactions to approve, etc.
- A Reports panel lists reports that have been specified as useful on this tab.
- A Shortcuts panel (shown on every tab) provides links to most-used Reports, and Employees you are related to through a Role.
- News are no longer shown following Login, but the most recent item of News is shown in a separate panel on the Today tab.
- ‘Selection’ (opening forms, reports, etc.) is now consistently through the clicking of an icon You will no longer open forms by clicking on a Form Reference.
- The Modify Password and Employee Details options are now accessed by clicking the small triangle, or the employee code or name, in the top right hand corner of the page (next to the new Help button).
- Administration tools (Ledger Modification, Data Import, Ledger Export, Form Control) are listed in a panel on the Administration tab, where links to Reference Data (Employees, Clients, Expense Types, Reasons, etc.) can also be found.
- Inquiry Profiles (in Reports panels and in customisable panels in the Reporting tab) are now either profiles that present a grid of data, or profiles that present a report rendered by Crystal Reports or Microsoft Reporting Services, not both.
- All types of reports are listed in Reports panels or customisable panels in the Reporting tab without differentiation. You need no longer know in advance that a report is a Status Inquiry report, an Active Schedule report or any other type of report.
- History is available from a separate History tab. History includes forms you have submitted, confirmed, authorised or reviewed.
Static Data Inquiries
A new type of report has been introduced. Static Data Inquiries enable you to report on Employees, Expense Types, or Analysis Values, irrespective of whether transactions exist for any of these.
Static Data Inquiries may also be configured to export data into Excel spreadsheets, or CSV text files, so that these can be imported back into [email protected] or into other systems.
Static Data Inquiries may also be scheduled for execution by the Task Scheduler.
Section 2 – [email protected] Advanced Enhancements
Time & Expenses data can now be invoiced via the web as can their authorisation and review. Invoice Reprint is also available via the web as well as Invoice Status Inquiry. Distribution Masks and Data Access Categories may be used to limit the visibility of Projects for those Employees permitted to use Invoicing. You may also automatically email invoices in Word, Excel or PDF format to specific recipients. We are continuing to develop invoicing within [email protected] Maintenance Application and in this release it has been enhanced to enable invoice emailing.
We have revised the way in which you may specify the email recipient for an invoice, using Roles. You may now specify (on System Parameters) the role or roles – a System, Company, Project or Client role to which an Employee or Client Employee may be assigned – that will determine the default recipient(s).
We have allowed (optionally) for the specification of additional Employees as recipients of emailed invoices at invoicing runtime (only in the PSW).
We have simplified the specification of Email Subject and Body so that these may be specified at System, Company, Client or Project level, defaulting ‘upwards’ towards System level if no values are found at a lower level.
Invoice Reversal is now available in the PSW.
We have added a new function to the PSW – Timesheet Control – which allows you to reassign Timesheets waiting for authorisation to other eligible Employees. This is similar to Workflow Control, which has now been renamed as Form Control.
To learn more about upgrading to Version 6.0 please Contact Us.